Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cross-Cultural Missions


1 Corinthians 9

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel that I may share in its blessings.

I was in a class this last year called Cross-Cultural Missions.  This verse was used to bring up a very good point.  When leaving the culture that you are accustomed to, with the mission of spreading the Gospel, it is beneficial to learn the culture in which you are trying to reach.  Let’s say you were going to go to Kenya for a Mission trip, to plant a church, or to serve in some other way.  It would be appropriate for you to learn the language.  It would also be beneficial to learn the needs of the people in order to express the need for Christ to fulfill those needs.  In order to share the gospel with a people of a completely different culture, you must immerse yourself in that culture.

Have you ever tried to talk to a teenager?  Sometimes when speaking with my students or teenagers in the congregation, I feel like I am in a very different land with strange customs and language.  Have any of you ever felt that way?  What if we looked at ministering to these young people in the same way we look at missionary work?  What if we took the time to learn their language, immerse ourselves into their style, customs, or even music?  What if we took the time to listen to their needs or what they are missing?  Wouldn’t it be great if we could share with them how Jesus can fulfill their needs?

This is a great way to share the gospel to anyone!!

Interested in getting involved in the great mission field God is presenting right in front of you?  Here is your chance!  This Friday we are having a concert at the church.  The Epic Tour featuring Manic Drive will visit Orange Friends this Friday; the concert beginning at 8pm.  For more information click here.


-Sierra

1 comment:

  1. Makes sense what you're saying. Unfortunately, especially as we age, we seem to get stuck in our ways of seeing things and doing things and believe the "world" should see everything like I see it. This is why putting Christ at the center of our lives is so important. I also pray daily that Christ use me to serve him and serve others instead of myself. It's a battle but it's what we're called to do.

    ReplyDelete